April 30, 2010 – 7:35 am
By now you probably know the story. I started this year by deciding I was going to do 30-day resolutions, rather than make a single new year’s resolution that had to last a whole year.
Andrew Wicklander took that as a challenge and committed to building and launching one of my ideas within 30 days of that process. Today, it’s live. It’s simple and it’s awesome – and it’s about doing thirty day projects.
It’s called ThirtyDayProject.org. Go play with it!
My favourite thing about it is that rather than just tick off days as ‘done’, you can also share a link to where you’ve shared the thing you’ve done.
I love this line from Andrew’s blog post about it:
There was no point in me trying to make a website that stores photos better than flickr, or videos better than Vimeo, or music better than Bandcamp. Plus, there are too many sites in the world that are trying to confiscate people’s creativity. I wanted to project it.
This is awesome
I can’t tell you how excited I am about this. What Andrew’s done here is amazing. He took my very simple idea, made it better, then learned how to make the website while he was making it.
And this isn’t the only one of my 30 ideas that’s been turned into something real and worthwhile.
Ray Kuyvenhoven has launched IdeaCyclone.com, which is based on my House of Spare Ideas idea. I’m yet to have a really good play with this, but I’m nearly ready to start sharing more ideas, so this is definitely where they’ll be going.
The point is this: Ideas are easy. Making stuff is hard. What Andrew and Ray have done is awesome.
Table of contents for 30 Days of Ideas
- The other way of following first
- Now we’re up and dancing
- 30 days of ideas – 01: Keymash
- 30 days of ideas – 02: Radio Alerts
- 30 days of ideas – 03: Only Famous (a romantic comedy)
- 30 days of ideas – 04: Modcasts
- 30 days of ideas – 05: Numberless Calendar
- 30 days of ideas – 06: SpringCleanr
- 30 days of ideas – 07: Street Gallery
- 30 days of ideas – 08: Smart Business Cards
- 30 days of ideas – 09: Recordings in Concert
- 30 days of ideas – 10: Vinyl scanner
- 30 days of ideas – 11: Photo Stack-and-Scan
- 30 days of ideas – 12: A Box of Cool
- 30 days of ideas – 13: Karaoke-Tube Celebstar Idol
- 30 days of ideas – 14: I Made You A Tape
- 30 days of ideas – 15: Newspaper download codes
- 30 days of ideas – 16: Pebble Splash
- 30 days of ideas – 17: Digital radio, somewhere useful
- 30 days of ideas – 18: Public domain music collection
- 30 days of ideas – 19: Blog cast-list automator
- 30 days of ideas – 20: The Retirement Pile
- 30 days of ideas – 21: Nationalise EMI
- 30 days of ideas – 22: The Stainless Steel Rat (the movie)
- 30 days of ideas – 23: WordPress Bandcampify template
- 30 days of ideas – 24: Rollercoasters as public transport
- 30 days of ideas – 25: Next-gen personalised music radio
- 30 days of ideas – 26: New Music Trust
- 30 days of ideas – 27: Tamagotchi Gardening
- 30 days of ideas – 28: Charity shop clothing subscription
- 30 days of ideas – 29: ‘Now Playing’ social music app
- 30 days of ideas – 30: House of Spare Ideas
- Mixtape for You by Ray Kuyvenhoven
- What can you do in 30 days?