March 29, 2010 – 11:36 pm
Today’s idea is a terribly simple one – so much so, I’m astonished nobody else seems to have thought of it: Tamagotchi Gardening.
Instead of looking after a pet, you tend a garden. Dig it over, choose what to plant, care for it, water it, and reap the rewards.
But it’s not simply about the satisfaction of growing your own (virtual) food.
Crops mean points – and you can compete against your friends to choose the best fertiliser, pick the right plants for the right times of year, water at the correct times of the day, do a spot of weeding, build fences to keep out the critters, go organic or use chemicals, and so on.
Of course, there’s jeopardy. Things that eat the plants, things that can go wrong with the plants, neglect, over-watering, and environmental forces can all play havoc with your virtual allotment. Get it wrong, and the plants could die. Get it right, and they’ll thrive. But make sure you harvest at the right time.
And if veges aren’t your thing, we could always make it a flower garden, a zen garden, a vineyard or an orchard. There are lots of different options – and each ‘plot of land’ could be another purchase.
The game (let’s call it an iPhone app) could be tied into the actual calendar, and to weather data in your area – and so there could be a kind of realism to it that matches your exterior world. But this way, you get to do a bit of gardening while you’re on the bus, on your lunchbreak or while lying on the couch.
Just a few minutes here and there, or a good half an hour of weeding and digging, transplanting and pruning – and you need never get your hands dirty.
Of course – this goes without saying – but there’s an opportunity here to do lots of gardening education too. BBC Gardener’s World should be all over this.
Table of contents for 30 Days of Ideas
- The other way of following first
- Now we’re up and dancing
- 30 days of ideas – 01: Keymash
- 30 days of ideas – 02: Radio Alerts
- 30 days of ideas – 03: Only Famous (a romantic comedy)
- 30 days of ideas – 04: Modcasts
- 30 days of ideas – 05: Numberless Calendar
- 30 days of ideas – 06: SpringCleanr
- 30 days of ideas – 07: Street Gallery
- 30 days of ideas – 08: Smart Business Cards
- 30 days of ideas – 09: Recordings in Concert
- 30 days of ideas – 10: Vinyl scanner
- 30 days of ideas – 11: Photo Stack-and-Scan
- 30 days of ideas – 12: A Box of Cool
- 30 days of ideas – 13: Karaoke-Tube Celebstar Idol
- 30 days of ideas – 14: I Made You A Tape
- 30 days of ideas – 15: Newspaper download codes
- 30 days of ideas – 16: Pebble Splash
- 30 days of ideas – 17: Digital radio, somewhere useful
- 30 days of ideas – 18: Public domain music collection
- 30 days of ideas – 19: Blog cast-list automator
- 30 days of ideas – 20: The Retirement Pile
- 30 days of ideas – 21: Nationalise EMI
- 30 days of ideas – 22: The Stainless Steel Rat (the movie)
- 30 days of ideas – 23: WordPress Bandcampify template
- 30 days of ideas – 24: Rollercoasters as public transport
- 30 days of ideas – 25: Next-gen personalised music radio
- 30 days of ideas – 26: New Music Trust
- 30 days of ideas – 27: Tamagotchi Gardening
- 30 days of ideas – 28: Charity shop clothing subscription
- 30 days of ideas – 29: ‘Now Playing’ social music app
- 30 days of ideas – 30: House of Spare Ideas
- Mixtape for You by Ray Kuyvenhoven
- What can you do in 30 days?