Now we’re up and dancing
Photo by Jamison Wieser
You remember how I said that I was going to be the first one up and dancing (metaphorically speaking) regarding Derek Sivers giving away his idea about First Followers…?
Derek had an interesting idea, gave a TED presentation about it, and it was very well received. He was encouraged to write it up as a book and turn the idea into something much bigger. The idea of making this ‘First Follower’ concept his big thing for the next couple of years didn’t particularly appeal to him, and so he made his idea available to anyone who wanted to pick it up and run with it.
A sincere form of flattery
I briefly thought about taking up the challenge, but decided that rather than do what Derek had been encouraged to do – I’d actually do what Derek did.
My twist was that I would come up with 30 ideas in 30 days, and give them all away. Turn the process into a bit of a game, in line with my 30 days series of projects in 2010.
But he put his own twist on it.
The real value of ideas
Andrew has pledged to take one of my 30 ideas – and both execute on it, and ship it within 30 days of my 30 day project finishing. That is to say, he’s going to take one idea that I have, and make something real that actually goes to market by May 1st.
Read his blog post about it. He explains it better than I could.
Because the truth of the matter, as Derek has pointed out in the past, is that ideas are pretty much dime a dozen. Anyone can have ideas anytime they want to. Good ideas are possibly more rare, but having ideas is not the hard part.
The hard part
Execution is the hard part. It’s the important part. Actually taking an idea and making it into something real. Dealing with the flaws in the idea, and bashing it into some kind of reasonable shape. Developing a fledgling notion into a tangible and usable thing – that’s the real trick.
So – my hat’s off to Andrew Wicklander, and I am totally feeling the pressure to not just come up with 30 ideas – but to come up with at least a few good ones in there.
Dance all around the world
And already some people are approaching him – and me – to ask what they can do to help. People from all sorts of places. Friends and complete strangers.
It’s really encouraging – and I hope that whatever he does makes him rich and happy – or at least gives him an entertaining and interesting project to work on for a month. And the deal is that it’s completely his. I’ll come up with the idea, but the moment it’s up on the blog, it’s a gift to any and every person that wants to have a crack at it.
I’d be delighted to see anyone else do something similar. Because what Andrew’s doing is really inspirational – and I hope at least one of my ideas will live up to the expectation.
Table of contents for 30 Days of Ideas
- The other way of following first
- Now we’re up and dancing
- 30 days of ideas – 01: Keymash
- 30 days of ideas – 02: Radio Alerts
- 30 days of ideas – 03: Only Famous (a romantic comedy)
- 30 days of ideas – 04: Modcasts
- 30 days of ideas – 05: Numberless Calendar
- 30 days of ideas – 06: SpringCleanr
- 30 days of ideas – 07: Street Gallery
- 30 days of ideas – 08: Smart Business Cards
- 30 days of ideas – 09: Recordings in Concert
- 30 days of ideas – 10: Vinyl scanner
- 30 days of ideas – 11: Photo Stack-and-Scan
- 30 days of ideas – 12: A Box of Cool
- 30 days of ideas – 13: Karaoke-Tube Celebstar Idol
- 30 days of ideas – 14: I Made You A Tape
- 30 days of ideas – 15: Newspaper download codes
- 30 days of ideas – 16: Pebble Splash
- 30 days of ideas – 17: Digital radio, somewhere useful
- 30 days of ideas – 18: Public domain music collection
- 30 days of ideas – 19: Blog cast-list automator
- 30 days of ideas – 20: The Retirement Pile
- 30 days of ideas – 21: Nationalise EMI
- 30 days of ideas – 22: The Stainless Steel Rat (the movie)
- 30 days of ideas – 23: WordPress Bandcampify template
- 30 days of ideas – 24: Rollercoasters as public transport
- 30 days of ideas – 25: Next-gen personalised music radio
- 30 days of ideas – 26: New Music Trust
- 30 days of ideas – 27: Tamagotchi Gardening
- 30 days of ideas – 28: Charity shop clothing subscription
- 30 days of ideas – 29: ‘Now Playing’ social music app
- 30 days of ideas – 30: House of Spare Ideas
- Mixtape for You by Ray Kuyvenhoven
- What can you do in 30 days?